Fibro fog is sometimes referred to as brain fog but these are the same thing. Brain fog often is something that people with CFS/ME suffer with too and is not just related to fibromyalgia. It is also referred to as cognitive dysfunction too but less commonly. This may be something that you have heard other people saying that they suffer with or something that you want to clarify further. If so, just read on.
What is fibro / brain fog?
- problems with short term memory (for example I can walk into a room with an intention then completely forget when I’ve got there, forgetfulness, easily losing train of thought)
- problems recalling things from memory (e.g. remembering a place name or something that happened in the past, a persons name or song name)
- mixing up words (for example I know in my head what I want to say but what I say comes out mixed and muddled)
- difficulty concentrating (struggling to focus on more than one thing and lack of focus to focus on the task at hand)
- problems remembering dates and times (I use the calendar on my phone a lot to help remind me of appointments)
Treatments for fibro fog.
There are some supplements that are said to aid brain cognitive function. These are listed below. I tried to find the best price I could for you on the strength of tablet and also number of tablets too.
L-Theanine is a natural amino acid which improves blood flow to the brain which in turn helps memory, clarity, relaxation amongst other things.
Rhodiola is a natural herb which belongs to the same family as ginseng and caffeine. It is said to improve cognitive function including memory and alertness.
Cod liver oil is known for its’ benefits Omega 3 is important to keep your brain healthy and whilst it can be gained through fish supplements also help too.
‘5-HTP is the immediate precursor to Serotonin (5-HT) thus playing a role in your body’s natural synthesis of serotonin which in turn plays a role in regulating the sleep hormone melatonin’. (Pharmacol Ther. 2006, Alina Masters 2014)
These tablets have a range of B vitamins in them. Vitamin B is known to improve memory and energy.
L-carnitine is a supplement that will boost energy and improve cognitive function too.
Other things you can do to help.
- Make lists to help you remember.
- Write things down there and then so that you don’t have time to forget.
- Use the calendar on your phone to remind you of any appointments you may have or anything else that is important
- Remind people that you’re forgetful with your fibro. Ask them to remind you of things or I prefer it written down in a text sometimes so you can go back and refer to it.
I have got some of these tablets on order and will write an updated post to let you know how I get on with them. Have you found something that has worked for your fibro fog? I’d love to know. Let me know if you try any of these supplements and if they help you too. Thanks for reading 🙂